10.2.11

From the Marvel Vault: Dr. Strange!

Original art from Doctor Strange: From the Marvel Vault #1 by Neil Vokes & Jay Geldhof.
Today's treat is something I honestly thought would never see the light of day in an actual Marvel comic! When I got my shipment of last week's comics from Discount Comic Book Service, I'd all but forgotten that Marvel was finally releasing the Roger Stern/Neil Vokes/Jay Geldhof collaboration on Doctor Strange, once meant to be published in the abruptly-canceled Marvel Universe series. This piece has a special place in my heart, as it was the very first original art page I'd ever bought (never mind that it was, to that point, never published in an actual book). It must have been a good ten years ago that I bought this page from Mr. Vokes at the Pittsburgh Comicon in Monroeville, PA. What a delicious surprise, many years later, to find this page finally printed in a comic!

The story by Roger Stern (with plot assist by Joe Edkin) is a real hoot, telling all about how Doc first found the spooky old house that would become his Sanctum Sanctorum at 177A Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village. (In reality, the address was that of an apartment shared in the 1960s by Marvel alums Roy Thomas and Gary Friedrich.) No self-respecting Doc fan should be without it. Pick it up today!

Cover by Mario Alberti.

~G.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can never tell if two comments from "Anonymous" are really by the same person, so please, especially if I know you from other websites, leave a name or alias or something! Thanks!