23.3.05

Second verse, subtly altered from the first

More good news/bad news:

For the Dead (and Bad News) travel fast - Neck pain in day 3...I woke up around 3 a.m. and, unable to get more sleep, I decided to watch a couple more episodes of Werewolf, and remembered even more reasons why I loved the show when it first aired. (I hadn't seen many of these episodes since the late 1980s.) If you're unfamiliar, think of the old Hulk TV show starring Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno, but add a snout and a few tons of fur to the green guy, and take out one bumbling tabloid news reporter and insert one half-Indian, shades-wearing, blue-jean-clad bounty hunter who actually seems to know what he's doing most of the time. And our protagonist is tracking the big daddy werewolf of the pack (named after the vampire antagonist from The Night Stalker and played by ex-Rifleman Chuck Connors), whose death may cure him. I can't wait to see some of the later episodes, where Connors' character is killed and it's revealed that he wasn't the head of the pack, after all--thus the series, to borrow Buffy terminology, switched "Big Bads" midstream (to relative newcomer and nowadays genre TV pro, Brian Thompson). It was canceled shortly thereafter.

Also, called my LCS today about the New Avengers variant. Orders are going wonky and apparently he didn't get any, so that means I have to get it elsewhere. It just shows my resentment for the whole variant cover scheme, but I refuse to refrain from participation because there are some damn fine variants that have become available, and NA #4 currently heads the pack. And I love my Astonishing X-Men #1 group cover variant I bought in San Diego. Wouldn't trade for the world--more later. Let's face it--when my LCS is "on," they're really, really on the ball, and when they're not, they're not. I can't really complain overmuch because I do get a great discount on new books.

Come on, you can't tell me this isn't cool:



Good news--and me, the living--travel slow, slow, slow - I took the cash I got from some recent eBay auctions and bought the aforementioned New Avengers variant for about 6 times more than I would've at my LCS. Yes, I know there's some bad news in there at that cost, but at least I'll have the book.

I'm thinking about reviewing my regular TV shows after they air, so you may see capsule reviews & discussion of tonight's Alias at some point. No comic reviews today because I haven't made it to the shop (blame the neck pain).

Oh, and lest I forget, I'm thinking of going to the cinema this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations for what to see?

~G.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, and lest I forget, I'm thinking of going to the cinema this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations for what to see?

    Ooooo, I know! Go see The Pacifier! Or Man of the House! Ha, no - I kid. Is the Ring 2 out yet? That might be decent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the Ring 2 last night it was HORRIBLE!

    - The Big Bad Wolf
    Comic Monsters
    www.comicmonsters.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noted....Ring 2, off the list...:-D

    Anyone see "Cursed"? I hear it's got werewolves!

    ~G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cursed is getting absolutely panned in every review I've read. I mean, people are saying its not even so-bad-it's-good; it just sucks. I'd stay away. Wes Craven is kinda over, sadly.

    ReplyDelete

I can never tell if two comments from "Anonymous" are really by the same person, so please, especially if I know you from other websites, leave a name or alias or something! Thanks!