26.3.05

Time For Something Schiavo-versial

I'm going to be open and honest with my audience (what little audience I have, granted, but that'll change). The Terri Schiavo situation gets to me. Today I've listened to both sides--Michael Schiavo's lawyer and the family of Terri, and I stick by my conclusion that the Schindlers don't have a clue what's really happening and are refusing to accept what a lot of other people know in their hearts to be true: Terri is not going to get any better. She's a vegetable. The laughing, smiling, crying, pissing and whatever else Ms. Schiavo does on a regular or irregular basis are instinctual and are completely unrelated to any sign of actual, intelligent life. I'm sorry to break that to the conservatives and pro-lifers out there, but having been brought up Catholic (going to Easter mass in a little over an hour, in fact) and also being the son of a very well-educated Registered Nurse, I'm confident in saying that removing the feeding tube was absolutely the right thing to do in Mrs. Schiavo's situation.

In fact, the tube should probably never have been put in. Do you know how Mrs. Schiavo came to be in this condition? She was a bulimic who, instead of dying like Karen Carpenter, suffered cardiac arrest due to Potassium deficiency (from throwing up so much), and the resulting brain damage made her like this, and so she's remained since 1990. And now, ironically, we're making a fuss about feeding her (or rather, not feeding her). It's ironic, and you may call it tragedy, but I call it poetic justice.

There's no quality of life in Terri right now; hasn't been for well over a decade. As-is, can she lead a good, unassisted existence as productive member of society? Look at the file footage and dare to disagree with me. I've listened to enough people on radio call-in shows chastising the Bushies (Jeb and Dubya) for not doing nearly enough to help, that if they wanted to, they could override the judicial branch of government Like hell they should. Checks and balances exist in government for a reason! I also keep hearing that Michael Schiavo should be put on trial for bigamy--maybe so, maybe not. Fact is, Michael has tried to care for Terri as best he could these past several years; he should be admired for sticking by her as long as he has.

More and more, I'm convinced that the Schindlers' struggle is less and less about Mrs. Schiavo herself and more about their own (and, by extension, everyone else's) fear of death. And it's gone ludicrously far into government. Why? It's an open-and-shut matter between husband and wife, as far as I'm concerned. For having historically been hands-off with regard to government over the people, Bush and his fellow Republicans sure are pushing an awfully tough, broad agenda for giving us rules to live and die by.

What's more humane--a couple weeks' starvation, or fifteen years of a woman rotting away day by day while her relatives banter on and on, reduced themselves to little more than animals and carrying on an absurd "he said/she said" game?

And now, the parents say Mrs. Schiavo just tried to say "I want to live!"(nevermind the state of her mind) and give this as new reason that the tube should be reinserted. It reeks of desperation. I have to shake my head, over and over and over.

Huh, maybe that's why my neck hurt so much this week.

Let Terri die with what little dignity she now has left.

~G.

6 comments:

  1. I agree -- Let Terri die with dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've already talked about this, so you know I agree with you, but, um, I do have an objection to this:

    And now, ironically, we're making a fuss about feeding her (or rather, not feeding her). It's ironic, and you may call it tragedy, but I call it poetic justice.

    It's definitely ironic, but I wouldn't say it's poetic justice. Maybe you didn't mean it like this, but it kind of sounds like you're saying she deserved to die. Which I don't think is fair - when someone is suffering from a mental disorder (which is what bulimia is), they don't realize or appreciate the damage they're doing to themselves or others. That's why it's called mental disorder - their brains are not processing information the way a healthy brain would.

    Sorry if that was a little soap-boxy - it's kind of a hot-button issue for me right now. ^_^

    And may a just say WORD to this:

    For having historically been hands-off with regard to government over the people, Bush and his fellow Republicans sure are pushing an awfully tough, broad agenda for giving us rules to live and die by.

    This drives me ABSOLUTELY CRAZY. I don't have a problem with people whose views differ from mine - that's fine, we live in America. But when people are giant hypocrites, like Bush is on, oh, almost EVERY FUCKING ISSUE, it really bugs me. "Oh, the government shouldn't be involved in people's private lives - unless they're doing something I happen to disagree with." BULL. FUCKING. SHIT.

    *grr*

    Okay, done now. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. The biggest irony to me is the conservatives who railed about gay marriage being a threat to marriage are the same people who want to insert the federal government in between a husband and a wife's wishes.

    There are other observations, but this is the one that has amused my cynical nature the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz--

    Sorry for the sideways, unintended implication that Terri Schiavo somehow deserves to die. I guess there's a fine line between "she did this to herself" and "she's getting what she deserved." Where were her parents when she was starving herself? Ironically, again, probably cheering her on, because she weighed well over 200 pounds at the point she started barfing to lose the weight.

    Bulimia was an extreme solution to Terri's problem, and it worked at first but she compulsively found it hard to stop, hence the Karen Carpenter syndrome happening back in 1990. At some point bulimia went beyond just a means to lose weight and became, as you suggest, a true mental disorder for her. In some twisted way, it's again ironic re: her parents' behavior. Perhaps they feel guilt about not interfering with her bulimia, and are keeping her alive and wanting to keep the tube in as a way of making it up to Terri, knowing she can't fall back on her old behaviors now? Oddly enough, that would mean part of them has accepted her condition, but they don't care, which is kinda scary...

    ~G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part and parcel of what I said above--I really don't think that everyone who practices bulimia has a mental disorder. Your mileage may vary (YMMV).

    ~G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooooooohhhhh - I see what you were trying to say now. Makes perfect sense. (I thought that I was reading you wrong, 'cause I was all like, "Gary and I always agree!" ^_^) I especially like what you said here:Where were her parents when she was starving herself?...Perhaps they feel guilt about not interfering with her bulimia, and are keeping her alive and wanting to keep the tube in as a way of making it up to Terri, knowing she can't fall back on her old behaviors now.

    Exactly. And you're right - if that is their attitude, it *is* a little creepy. Like, "Now that you're completely under our control and have no say whatsoever in what happens to your own body, we want to keep you that way!" Ick.

    And you're right when you say that not everyone who practices bulimia is bulimic (er, if that makes sense...O_o). It would be like saying everyone who has ever done heroin is a heroin addict, which is just silly. It's all a matter of degrees.

    ReplyDelete

I can never tell if two comments from "Anonymous" are really by the same person, so please, especially if I know you from other websites, leave a name or alias or something! Thanks!